Magicians: The Gathering
Contact us Facebook Twitter YouTube
Go Back   Magicians: The Gathering > The Café > Public Magic Discussions
Notices

Old 10-03-2010, 07:16 PM   #1
Mark

User channel on YouTube
Default The Truth behind Smooth-It, In Your Face and G-Force

We received lots of emails and private messages asking about the similarities between my 'Smooth-It' color change, Bill Perkins' 'In Your Face Change' and Eric Goldfarb's 'G-Force Change'. After sending out tons of replies, I thought making a thread on this topic would make our lives much easier. So here it is:

My 'Smooth-It'
Not to be confused with 'Smooth'. Actually, this change was 'Smooth' in its very first stage, before I started working on it more and turned it into the better-known color change.

I made 'Smooth-It' in the end of 2005 when I was just a beginner, published an amateurish tutorial in the beginning of 2006, then went professional, and in 2007 this change was part of the limited '125cc' set of Hanna and I, together with the evolved versions of this change.

Bill Perkin's 'In Your Face Change'
I know Bill and publisher Vinny Marini from MagicVideoDepot since I have been doing magic. There is a pretty good chance Bill stole my 'Smooth-It' because he so said created it the week after I made a video with it, back in 2006. However, I would like to believe this is just a coincidence and he created this change independently.

Bill's way of doing the change looks very similar to 'Smooth-It' as appearing in that video of mine if it wasn't that his way it looks quite unnatural. The exact method from 'Smooth-It' would have made the complete difference. Still, the idea and basis were exactly the same.

I got credits on the publisher's website after proving with ease that I was the first to publish this change. It took quite some months before they spelled my name right, though, but I think it's the very least they could have done.

Because Bill's release was much more of a commercial release than mine, the change usually goes by the 'In Your Face Change', even when done the more proper way.

Eric Goldfarb's 'G-Force Change'
In July 2010, Eric published the 'Eric Goldfarb EP' at DanAndDave.com claiming he invented everything on this release, yet his 'G-Force Change' is exactly the same as 'Smooth-It'. Also the techniques behind it, that is. I must add that all of these techniques are classics (rather than Eric's, like he claimed), but the actual change hadn't been published anywhere before I did.

However, I am sure Eric came up with all of this independently, and he obviously thought a lot more about it than Bill did at his change before having it published.

So if you want to learn 'Smooth-It', definitely go with the 'Eric Goldfarb EP'. As soon as we will re-release '125cc', if we ever will, get that one instead. And don't forget 'Smooth-It' and 'Smooth' are not the same thing.

Hope this cleared up everything.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote