Contact us Facebook Twitter YouTube
Go Back   Magicians: The Gathering > The Café > Public Magic Discussions
Notices

Old 03-26-2012, 09:32 PM   #1
Arnau

User channel on YouTube
Default Shuffle?

Hey guys.
So I just want to know your opinion on what to do after the selection is put back into the deck, when performing for laymen. Would you just do a control, or would you shuffle it to the top/bottom?

Personally I do these the most:
a) controlling the card and then doing a shuffle maintaining the selection in place while I talk (as if I didn't care about the card)
b)Shuffling the card to the top/bottom while I talk (again, as if I didn't care about the card)

In some specific tricks or when performing for magicians I use just a control.
Arnau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:13 PM   #2
Fin

User channel on YouTube

For me it depends on the trick and the person I'm performing for. In some cases I'd go with (a), but sometimes, when I want a really clean look I'll use one of the "invisible" controls to the top or bottom, making it seem as if all that has happened is that the card was placed in the middle of the deck, nothing more. I often prefer this because I think many laymen are well aware of "false shuffles" and may actually become more suspicious if you shuffle the deck.

Don't forget, when you are confident with palming (or if you use the UCCU), you can control the card, palm it off, then hand the spectators the deck to shuffle! Now you're really in control and looking completely fair. Woohoo!
Fin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:22 PM   #3
la0o9
Move monkey atm

User channel on YouTube

if it's for laymen, i'd just do a shuffle to control to the top and the "dive" principle( i can't remember what it's called) to control to the bottom. for magicians, i'd resort to more extreme methods( a pass)
"It's a small world, but only relatively"
"Reality is not the world, it is the way humankind depicts the world, thus when you alter a person's way of seeing the world, you alter reality itself"
la0o9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:32 AM   #4
OliveroG
Marcos Olivero

User channel on YouTube

Actually, i doesn't really matter. Putting the card back in the deck is just an action that should not take place as important, you said it yourself, i believe that ANY control (including the most OBVIOUS ones, see Ambitious card DVD of Daryl, the fake tilt) can be used only if the attention is somewhere else.

You can try at home, go out, do a trick, but instead of placing the card on the middle, place it directly on top while talking to them, after some time talking, spread the cards, outjog any card, and drag attention back to the deck, push the card into the deck, and you have the most clean control EVA (this works for magicians too, the never expect that).
OliveroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:12 PM   #5
ouncesmusic

User channel on YouTube

Great suggestion OliveroG. That seems bold, but I can see that working with some time misdirection. Definitely will have to try it out.
ouncesmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:33 PM   #6
la0o9
Move monkey atm

User channel on YouTube

i take that's your fav control then?
"It's a small world, but only relatively"
"Reality is not the world, it is the way humankind depicts the world, thus when you alter a person's way of seeing the world, you alter reality itself"
la0o9 is offline   Reply With Quote