Magicians: The Gathering
Contact us Facebook Twitter YouTube
Go Back   Magicians: The Gathering > The Café > Public Magic Discussions
Notices

Old 09-08-2012, 11:47 PM   #1
schugunwinta

User channel on YouTube
My Magic Blog

Hello magicians, I've started a new blog on blogger,52shadesofcards.blogspot.com if something is not original or if you think a post doesn't really make sense please let me know I'll remove it or change it, thank you

-Scotty
Old 09-10-2012, 10:16 PM   #2
Fin

User channel on YouTube

I'm not sure which part of the handling you feel you have changed with the top palm. It is often used as a colour change. Check out Alex Linian's handling if you want a nicer clean-up.

The "Recreational" control is not original; several people have work on this. Personally I much prefer Akira Fuji's "Sidewinder" which is a superior way of approaching this due to how much more "natural" the grip looks. Justin Miller also offer's something similar with his "Sick" control.

The classic pass tutorial: Without meaning to sound rude I honestly don't see why you did it. There are many tutorials already out there for this move, some of which have been done by magicians who are incredibly good at it. You yourself admitted that yours is not much good. I think there are too many people on youtube learning a move and a month later offering a tutorial on it and I think all of them are wasting their time and ours.

The coffin change, again, not original. Not sure what you are saying with this? You "discovered a new handling" but "its not my idea".. So its a new handling (but it's not) and it wasn't your idea? Confusing indeed. Regardless, its a much used way of displaying what is often called the "cardini" change. Tony Chang and Chris Mayhew have used this "spread variation" on a couple of their releases. Ever thought of doing the One Handed Top Palm change, and then cleaning up with the spread? It works quite nicely

The other posts on the blog are cool. It's interesting to know what you think about the ACR and I'm jealous you found such a cool looking magic book in the school library! Had my school library stocked such a gem I may have discovered my love for card magic a little earlier in life. Overall, keep up the good work; I like the blog, but I think you should do a bit more research on moves before offering them up as "original" or "tutorials".
Fin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:29 PM   #3
OliveroG
Marcos Olivero

User channel on YouTube
Okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fin View Post
I'm not sure which part of the handling you feel you have changed with the top palm. It is often used as a colour change. Check out Alex Linian's handling if you want a nicer clean-up.

The "Recreational" control is not original; several people have work on this. Personally I much prefer Akira Fuji's "Sidewinder" which is a superior way of approaching this due to how much more "natural" the grip looks. Justin Miller also offer's something similar with his "Sick" control.

The classic pass tutorial: Without meaning to sound rude I honestly don't see why you did it. There are many tutorials already out there for this move, some of which have been done by magicians who are incredibly good at it. You yourself admitted that yours is not much good. I think there are too many people on youtube learning a move and a month later offering a tutorial on it and I think all of them are wasting their time and ours.

The coffin change, again, not original. Not sure what you are saying with this? You "discovered a new handling" but "its not my idea".. So its a new handling (but it's not) and it wasn't your idea? Confusing indeed. Regardless, its a much used way of displaying what is often called the "cardini" change. Tony Chang and Chris Mayhew have used this "spread variation" on a couple of their releases. Ever thought of doing the One Handed Top Palm change, and then cleaning up with the spread? It works quite nicely

The other posts on the blog are cool. It's interesting to know what you think about the ACR and I'm jealous you found such a cool looking magic book in the school library! Had my school library stocked such a gem I may have discovered my love for card magic a little earlier in life. Overall, keep up the good work; I like the blog, but I think you should do a bit more research on moves before offering them up as "original" or "tutorials".
I get a little bit turned on when you go criticism mode, just sayin'.

Now aside the joking, i agree with everything you said and i strongly recommend schugunwinta to do some sort of research before showing techniques, because you may say that they're not your idea (and that's perfectly ethical) but still it doesn't look good when you upload a Cardini change (or pughe's pass) variation and call it a completely different name (sort of Shim Lim stuff) overall, the blog idea is really good, and it's nice to see magicians open to show their ideas without exposing them, it's much better for the inspiration to not know how something is done, also is better to get magicians to learn how to appreciate magic, and not only to see it as a tool.
OliveroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:14 AM   #4
Fin

User channel on YouTube

I forgot to add, I also really like the look of the blog. Nice and simple but also quite smart looking. Oh and don't take my comment's too harshly.. Although brutal and somewhat hairy, I am a nice guy at heart
Fin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:45 PM   #5
schugunwinta

User channel on YouTube

Quote:

I'll be sure to change the posts, what i meant by "discovered a new handling" but "its not my idea" is that I found Chris and Tony doing it meaning that I discovered the footage. Thanks for your feedback -Scotty btw the recreational control had just a little variation, I out jogged the replacement card with a popout move.

---------- Post added at 03:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:42 PM ----------

Quote:
I forgot to add, I also really like the look of the blog. Nice and simple but also quite smart looking. Oh and don't take my comment's too harshly.. Although brutal and somewhat hairy, I am a nice guy at heart
Thanks, don't worry I don't think your a rude guy or anything