Magicians: The Gathering
Contact us Facebook Twitter YouTube
Go Back   Magicians: The Gathering > The Café > Public Magic Discussions
Notices

Old 03-16-2011, 07:45 AM   #1
Kieran Oloughlin

Default I need the help of an Australian Coin magician

Title says it all.
I need to know what size coin to use as I recived my modern coin magic dvd set yesterday and have started practcing basic techniques such as the classic plam but I need to know what size coin to use and in the dvd they use I think american coins. My hands are small because I am a smallish person so should I use a 20 c 50 c or what or should I learn to do all techniques with all size coins (hopefully excluding 5 c coins)
Kieran Oloughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:52 AM   #2
la0o9
Move monkey atm

User channel on YouTube

lol, that fits Frugglemonkey's description perfectly, too bad i don't see him much anymore... i'd say use a coin that will fit perfectly or close to that between your first and 3rd finger, or one that you will be able to hold in Remsey's( or Ramsey's) subtly, if a coin fits the criteria, it should be able to go into your classic palm( or go to a store and find a poker chip, they always fit into your classic palm, but not so much anything else if your hand isn't big enough)
"It's a small world, but only relatively"
"Reality is not the world, it is the way humankind depicts the world, thus when you alter a person's way of seeing the world, you alter reality itself"
la0o9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:28 AM   #3
INSANE MAGIC ESCAPES

User channel on YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by la0o9 View Post
lol, that fits Frugglemonkey's description perfectly, too bad i don't see him much anymore... i'd say use a coin that will fit perfectly or close to that between your first and 3rd finger, or one that you will be able to hold in Remsey's( or Ramsey's) subtly, if a coin fits the criteria, it should be able to go into your classic palm( or go to a store and find a poker chip, they always fit into your classic palm, but not so much anything else if your hand isn't big enough)
Go the 5c mate
INSANE MAGIC ESCAPES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:17 PM   #4
la0o9
Move monkey atm

User channel on YouTube

say what?
"Reality is not the world, it is the way humankind depicts the world, thus when you alter a person's way of seeing the world, you alter reality itself"
Old 06-22-2011, 01:33 AM   #5
Fin

User channel on YouTube

I have a good collection of coins. If you wanna hook up on webcam and take a look at them I'm sure I could give you some friendly advice.

I started with coin magic several months ago and have medium sized hands. I find the "half dollar" coins are perfect for my hands. In the UK, a 2 pound coin is roughly the same size but is slightly better for palming because it has milled edges which provide better grip. And using coins not of your nationality is no big deal - in fact it provides a point of interest and is often used as a good plot-starter (e.g. copper, silver, brass). Plus many gimmicks are more commonly found in the more common currency, so finding a particular gimmick for a small Australian coin may be tough or even impossible, compared to finding the same gimmick for a similarly sized American coin. It's well worth remembering this if you want your gimmicked coins to blend in with the other ones you are using in your performances.

If you want to be a great coin magician why not start as you mean to go on: Get a Dollar, a Half Dollar, and some smaller coins like cent's/uk 1 pence pieces. Learn to manipulate as many sizes as early as possible and you will surely be doing yourself a favour. But if you are sticking to one coin for now then find the one that is most comfortable in the palm and practice with that.

If you need any advice on where to buy coins or what dvd's are any good gimme a shout

I hope that helps
Fin
Fin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:43 AM   #6
Kieran Oloughlin

5c is wwwwwaaayyy to small. ANd fin what would be a good way to get into coin magic, I have both the modern coin magic book and dvd but the books confuses me and the dvds tricks arent the sought of stuff I like (visual and awesome). ALso they are not structered very well so I could learn ten things berfore I am able to do one coin trick. I am thinking metal by erik jones, is that a good choice?
Old 06-22-2011, 01:28 PM   #7
la0o9
Move monkey atm

User channel on YouTube

visual and awesome? lol, to get that you must practice a lot... and as far as i'm concern... every coin magic trick is visual and audio( meaning looks insane and sound real), it's just a matter of how natural looking you can make it and how fast you're going. Metal looks pretty good, but it's up to you to find out how visual the effects are( imo, they aren't, not as much as the ones from "Sick" anyways).
Old 06-22-2011, 05:56 PM   #8
Fin

User channel on YouTube

From what I've seen, "Sick" by Ponta the Smith is an incredible dvd to get and work on over time but for a beginner just starting in coin magic I'd say Metal by Eric Jones is an awesome place to start. Also "In The Beginning There Were Coins" by Jay Noblezada is very good and covers alot of ground. For awesome visual coin magic check out "Coin One" by Homer Liwag, on youtube. It gives you a good idea of what's possible.

There are many other good dvd's and books out there. Here are just a few that I have seen or managed to get hold of that I would recommend to a beginner:

J.B. Bobo - "Modern Coin Magic" a MUST HAVE book
David Roth - All his coin magic dvd's are excellent
Jay Sankey - Revolutionary Coin Magic 1 & 2 DVD's (LOADS of content)
The world's Greatest Magicians - Expanded Shells DVD

Also if you want a nice gimmicked trick that will baffle and delight people I highly recommend "copper, silver, brass" which you can buy at most good magic stores although I've found the best set is from the good old "Magic Warehouse". It's an easy trick to do so you can concentrate on the presentation, which is great if you are learning other tricks that you are not ready to perform yet, because it gives you time to work on them, saving them for when they are REALLY ready, and meanwhile build your confidence by performing a great trick whose "moves" are not going to worry you too much.
Fin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:41 PM   #9
TheMisdirectingHand
David Nguyen

User channel on YouTube

Sick is a very very good choice, but I think you will require other sources before actually learning anything from it...

•People who talk and never do: The Lower Class

•People who talk and do at the same time: The Middle Class

•People who do before they ever talk: The Upper Class

A real man does not need to talk. We are the upper class."

-Joseph Lau
TheMisdirectingHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:37 AM   #10
la0o9
Move monkey atm

User channel on YouTube

well, imo, saying that "Sick" isn't good for beginners is just an opinion, it's just that some techniques doesn't even look like magic in front of a mirror unless you've practiced it for a really long time( around 1-2 months), that's why you need to already known some stuffs...
Old 06-23-2011, 08:17 AM   #11
Kieran Oloughlin

The tricks on the modern coin magic dvd arnt that impressive to me. There are a few but I much prefer more modern stuff (ivanish, rattled, visual trnaspositions ect)
Old 06-26-2011, 03:19 PM   #12
Fruglemonkey

My hands are pretty small, I use 20c coins.

If you're looking for some more coins to use, do you live in Sydney? I could point you to a good place to get some other coins.
Fruglemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:14 PM   #13
TheMisdirectingHand
David Nguyen

User channel on YouTube

He finally appears! Where have you been?!

•People who talk and never do: The Lower Class

•People who talk and do at the same time: The Middle Class

•People who do before they ever talk: The Upper Class

A real man does not need to talk. We are the upper class."

-Joseph Lau
TheMisdirectingHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:03 AM   #14
la0o9
Move monkey atm

User channel on YouTube

studying for exams, apparently