Magicians: The Gathering
Contact us Facebook Twitter YouTube
Go Back   Magicians: The Gathering > The Café > Magic Alert
Notices

Old 07-16-2013, 03:24 PM   #1
Des

99% isn't 100%. I know you'd have to be stupid to not have a back up plan, or be able to improvise around it, but the product page should have to at least mention that, or it's false advertising.
If you want the creator of an effect to get the credits and money they deserve for their work, why not just buy the effect? Why go through the trouble of torrenting it, then paying? If they're going to get the money either way, why not play it safe and do it legally? If it's downloads, you can purchase them anywhere in the world, so...
I still stand by what I said about the trailers. Trailers are not for spectators, they're for magicians. I want to be able to look at an effect and know whether it's practical or not, whether it's my style or not, what the angles are, and to form an opinion on whether or not to be buy it. Say I do, and there's a part of the effect that looks suspicious, or that I simply don't like? If I had seen it in the trailer, I would have refrained from buying it. Now, I'm left feeling misled and ripped off, and am much less likely to purchase another product from the company/person in question. It's not about reverse engineering an effect, it's about knowing what you're about to spend money on.
The same goes for credits. Obviously, you're not going to tell spectators which move is from where, but you're not selling material to spectators, you're selling them to magicians. And you don't have to name specific moves on product pages either (which isn't what I was suggesting). I just think that credits should be given to the artist on the product page, especially if you're going to need to purchase additional material because of them (sorry to Justin, by the way; I automatically assumed you didn't credit Chad, which was pretty bad of me ). For example, the product page for the BOLD project should say something like, 'In order to perform one of the effects included in this project, you will need to have purchased Chad Nelson's 'Surfaced' DVD, for approximately $40.' Not that hard.
What I said about the 'WH Transpo' was stupid. Sorry.
I'm going to PM you about 'Merge'.
I read your previous post about his swearing. Really? Because opening an update video with 'Hey, motherf***ers!' come across as both trashy and unprofessional. Really unprofessional.
He's a hypocrite (until he revises the statements he made, or stops releasing with mainstream companies) who uses false advertising. Magic Alert? I think so.

Tags
behaviour, enduremiller, exposure, justin miller