Go Back   Magicians: The Gathering > The Café > Public Magic Discussions
Notices

Old 02-01-2011, 04:00 AM   #1
Albert
DarkSleightZ Artist

Donor Score: 110
User channel on YouTube
Default How do you approach your magic?

I'm quite interested to know how people approach or think about how to establish their magic.

As many people know already, I try to maintain a composed and natural style of magic (regardless of if I succeed or not ) and so I attempt to make variations of sleights or trick while following that principle.

How about you people?
Albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:45 AM   #2
la0o9
Move monkey atm

User channel on YouTube

I approach my magic with logic i think, i try and set my performances to be able to automatically justify itself( no moves should be questioned and everything is as i say it it), which is logical, but i prefer illogical patter( denying what i've just done ever happening), i'd say i like confusing yet natural magic.( if you're confused by what i've just said, i think i've done my job)
"It's a small world, but only relatively"
"Reality is not the world, it is the way humankind depicts the world, thus when you alter a person's way of seeing the world, you alter reality itself"
la0o9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:20 PM   #3
Mark

User channel on YouTube

I always approach my magic as if there are problems needing to be solved. As with new tricks this involves scientifically unprovable and/or unproved problems, and as with old tricks this involves making things more magically, trying to finish the works of geniuses who solved scientifically unprovable and unproved problems before.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 02:50 PM   #4
Fruglemonkey

An application of skill. You can do things that others can't, and use this fact to entertain/perplex/amuse others. Similar to other skills, such as music, or acrobatics, a mind can be boggled or made to feel a sense of wonder, in appreciation of great skill.
Fruglemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 03:44 PM   #5
Albert
DarkSleightZ Artist

User channel on YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruglemonkey View Post
An application of skill. You can do things that others can't, and use this fact to entertain/perplex/amuse others. Similar to other skills, such as music, or acrobatics, a mind can be boggled or made to feel a sense of wonder, in appreciation of great skill.
True, but I was wondering more of, how do you approach someone to show magic. I mean, you can have the greatest talent in the world but if you can't approach someone, it doesn't help, right?
Old 02-05-2011, 04:00 PM   #6
Fruglemonkey

It depends on the context, then. One approach doesn't blanket all; you don't go selling cars at a funeral.

I guess an easy way to approach someone is just to see if they're interested, first. IE, do some flourishes while waiting for a train, if they look interested, Just spread the cards and gesture for them to select a card. Easy way to pass a boring train ride, too.

I do frown upon 'forcing' magic onto others, though. IE just asking someone if they would like to see a magic trick. How would you feel if some musician came up to you in public, and asked you to listen to their song? Most likely you'd decline, or listen out of politeness.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:27 PM   #7
TheMisdirectingHand
David Nguyen

User channel on YouTube

I think otherwise. If that is the form of approach you prefer, it's fine, but I don't it would work too well. What you are doing is not an approach at all, it is just waiting for them to approach. If someone is a dedicated street magician, they should be the ones to approach, and amaze the spectators out of nowhere. Approaching someone is a way of getting them by surprise. If you did flourishes, the spectators would already know what you're capable of, and they're asking YOU to perform, which would suggest that they know what to expect. It isn't as amazing as just asking them. This is just my opinion though, if you think otherwise, I respect it.

•People who talk and never do: The Lower Class

•People who talk and do at the same time: The Middle Class

•People who do before they ever talk: The Upper Class

A real man does not need to talk. We are the upper class."

-Joseph Lau
TheMisdirectingHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:31 PM   #8
Albert
DarkSleightZ Artist

User channel on YouTube

I agree with David too. In my opinion, it's our job as the magician to approach people. Most of the time, people won't approach you even when you are practicing magic or doing cool flourishes. Of course, there are exceptions, from past experience. However, just telling someone to pick a card is a little weird from my viewpoint. I feel that waiting until you catch someone's attention to show them a trick gives a somewhat of distant feeling to them, like a feeling of a complete stranger. I prefer to approach someone, be more casual with them and have a good time as if we were friends for many years. But of course, that's just me.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:44 PM   #9
Fruglemonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert View Post
In my opinion, it's our job as the magician to approach people.
But not everyone wants to be entertained/approached. I mean, if you've struck up a friendly conversation with them, and they seem to have the time/patience to watch you perform, sure, go ahead. But asking someone on the street randomly if they'd like to see some magic just seems extremely rude, to me. Have you guys done much street performing, before?
Old 02-06-2011, 12:31 AM   #10
la0o9
Move monkey atm

User channel on YouTube

i have, and that way of asking actually works quite well, it just that you have to look for the right people. read the atmosphere, see if they are bored or just sitting there doing nothing, of course if you just walk up to someone who is reading a book and is staring at it, you would be getting in the way, but if you see someone reading a book and suddenly yawns, you most likely will have a chance to perform.
"It's a small world, but only relatively"
"Reality is not the world, it is the way humankind depicts the world, thus when you alter a person's way of seeing the world, you alter reality itself"
la0o9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:13 AM   #11
Albert
DarkSleightZ Artist

User channel on YouTube

Yup, reading the person is extremely important.

Approaching someone itself isn't rude. What is rude is imposing on them. If you introduce yourself in a friendly manner and give them an open option to watch or not, they will most likely give you an honest answer, especially since you are a stranger to them.

Many people these days are honest and don't like to be interrupted in the middle of the streets so they tell you straight up, either by walking past you (ignoring) or just giving a straight "no" . I've performed several times and I gave them an open invitation to watch my magic.

I forgot to add before, but restating my introduction to people, I sometimes say something like, "Hi, I'm a performer. Will you be interest in seeing something amazing, that is if you are not busy at the moment"

Of course, this is only from my limited past experience with some bias involved
Old 02-06-2011, 04:05 AM   #12
Fruglemonkey

Ah, I was under the impression you were the type that just randomly accosted strangers on the street. I've seen too many of that sort, here in Sydney =/
Old 02-06-2011, 06:06 AM   #13
Albert
DarkSleightZ Artist

User channel on YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruglemonkey View Post
Ah, I was under the impression you were the type that just randomly accosted strangers on the street. I've seen too many of that sort, here in Sydney =/
Ah, I know what you mean. I've seen several performances of people just walking up to whoever person they laid their eyes on right away and targets them. You can see that those spectators weren't that happy to be on camera too