Magicians: The Gathering
Contact us Facebook Twitter YouTube
Go Back   Magicians: The Gathering > The Café > Public Magic Discussions
Notices

Old 02-01-2011, 08:31 PM   #1
Mark

User channel on YouTube
Default "Hiya! Wanna see some magic?"

So.. how do you guys approach strangers if you would like to show them some magic?

I always go with "Hey hello. Could you please help me out with something?", not having anything magic-related shown to begin with as this seems to work the best over here. Like this I can also control the amount of spectators I would like to start off with, acting as if I need more people to help me out, then getting into the magic.

How about you guys?
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:36 PM   #2
Albert
DarkSleightZ Artist

Donor Score: 110
User channel on YouTube

I've learned to approach people, if I want to show magic, by saying something like "Hi, I'm a performer. Would you like to see something amazing?"
This gives the spectators something to question most often, like "What kind of performer? What's this amazing something? Now I'm curious and I want to see it."

I believe this is a more direct approach and it seems to work pretty well.
Albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:26 PM   #3
s13zeTheDay

User channel on YouTube

Also the flip side of this, what do you guys fall back on if someone approaches you when you are not expecting it and asks to see a magic trick?

--Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, A Study In Scarlet
s13zeTheDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:27 PM   #4
la0o9
Move monkey atm

User channel on YouTube

well, i'd just say: "Hi, do you guys like magic?" or something along that line, i think there are better ways to approach someone, but i just go with what i have.
"It's a small world, but only relatively"
"Reality is not the world, it is the way humankind depicts the world, thus when you alter a person's way of seeing the world, you alter reality itself"
la0o9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:47 PM   #5
TheMisdirectingHand
David Nguyen

User channel on YouTube

Well, Albert's approach is great, but people might take it the wrong way...

•People who talk and never do: The Lower Class

•People who talk and do at the same time: The Middle Class

•People who do before they ever talk: The Upper Class

A real man does not need to talk. We are the upper class."

-Joseph Lau
TheMisdirectingHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:26 AM   #6
Albert
DarkSleightZ Artist

User channel on YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMisdirectingHand View Post
Well, Albert's approach is great, but people might take it the wrong way...
Haha you naughty boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by s13zeTheDay View Post
Also the flip side of this, what do you guys fall back on if someone approaches you when you are not expecting it and asks to see a magic trick?
I guess it depends if I have a deck of cards with me or not. I'm starting to learn coin tricks so I can be a more impromptu magician.

But if you are not ready at all, just say, do you have a deck of cards with you? or something like that. They probably won't, which gives you a good reason to just get away from there. But all in all, it really depends on the circumstances.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:40 AM   #7
TheMisdirectingHand
David Nguyen

User channel on YouTube

I have only done actual street magic to completely random strangers about two times in total. I have a reputation at my school, though. One day it was just a LITTLE too much. Someone who knew I did magic saw me and he bought a crowd of about twenty, and they got REALLY interested.

I got too nervous, and couldn't think at all. I don't know how to get a small group of people inside of school. I have no method of approach, either. I'm scared of getting rejected and embarrassed, or if I'm asking the wrong group of people, if you get what I'm talking about.

-Joseph Lau
Old 02-02-2011, 02:32 AM   #8
Albert
DarkSleightZ Artist

User channel on YouTube

Quote:
I have only done actual street magic to completely random strangers about two times in total. I have a reputation at my school, though. One day it was just a LITTLE too much. Someone who knew I did magic saw me and he bought a crowd of about twenty, and they got REALLY interested.

I got too nervous, and couldn't think at all. I don't know how to get a small group of people inside of school. I have no method of approach, either. I'm scared of getting rejected and embarrassed, or if I'm asking the wrong group of people, if you get what I'm talking about.
Oh.... I know that all too well hahaha

In my opinion, if you get really really nervous, but don't want to let them down, calm down, take a few deep breaths and start off with a very easy trick, like a double lift. Say "Have you ever seen an extremely ambitious card before?" and just try it.

For me personally, whenever I get really nervous, but I can't reject them, I start off easy and when I get some good reactions, I start to calm down automatically.

I think students of a school are like any other people, so there is no right or wrong group of people (unless they are druggies offering you marijuana or cocaine for showing you magic xD). I think older people are easier to approach, not necessarily for you as a younger person, but for the spectators. Since the spectators are older, they don't have to get so nervous in front of a younger person and they would be less likely to reject you.

I was usually approached more so than me approaching people at high school so I guess I don't have that much experience regarding this xD
Old 02-02-2011, 02:39 AM   #9
TheMisdirectingHand
David Nguyen

User channel on YouTube

That's what I meant by "wrong group of people", if I'm performing outside of school.

I wanted to perform my Ambitious Card, but the only problem is, I am usually surrounded 360 degrees. I can't perform any passes or tilts at all, let alone a DL.

-Joseph Lau
Old 02-02-2011, 03:33 AM   #10
Albert
DarkSleightZ Artist

User channel on YouTube

Quote:
That's what I meant by "wrong group of people", if I'm performing outside of school.

I wanted to perform my Ambitious Card, but the only problem is, I am usually surrounded 360 degrees. I can't perform any passes or tilts at all, let alone a DL.
Ah! I didn't think you really meant "bad people" when you said the wrong group of people haha

In my opinion, I think it's then time to learn the art of "crowd control" and "movement" =)

Unless there are like 50 people surrounding you, crowd control can be pretty easy. You can simply ask people to move around to the position you want (of course, without saying "because otherwise you will see me flash xD") just by saying something like, "can you guys back up a bit so those guys can see as well? If it gets too crowded, I feel uncomfortable too." It's okay to say that since no one wants their "personal bubble" to be popped too.

As for tilts, just by titling your hand vertically, you can reduce the angle exposure. For the pass, you can do it just by slightly swinging your body from left to right or right to left as you talk. As they say "big motions cover the small ones". This way, you can easily, but naturally hide moves that you do. As for DLs, I guess you can learn either the pinky count or the strike double (I called it Daryl's double since it was when I forgot the name of it). Of course, unless you are uncomfortable with doing the push-off get ready.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:06 AM   #11
TheMisdirectingHand
David Nguyen

User channel on YouTube

I have seen your tutorial (it is very good by the way). I practice the push off on my own time, I can do it well there, but not when I'm actually performing. As for the Daryl's double, it seems interesting, but my get-ready for the riffle is too slow. Your tutorials are helpful, but somehow, it's not right for me haha.

-Joseph Lau
Old 02-02-2011, 04:48 AM   #12
s13zeTheDay

User channel on YouTube

First off, a quick tip on the pass, is that the dribble pass works ESPECIALLY well surrounded, as you have motivation to turn your body AND you have perfect cover for picking up half the deck to "lose" the card. In addition I have been working on both the pass and the second deal a lot lately, and the only advice I can give is just start slow and break down the actions. If you put in the effort, you will be spectator ready in no time.

I also perform a great deal in school. As much as you may think that specs are there to hassle you, they really just want to be amazed. However, don't be afraid to assert your authority. For example, whenever a spec decides to hassle me (for example when I'm trying to force a card and they specifically wait till I'm at the bottom of the deck) I just say "Do you want to do a trick for us?" That usually flusters them enough that they just sit back and watch. Further, start performing for smaller groups to learn spec control. It's amazing what you can get away with if you tell them convincingly enough Also, patter is key. Engage your spectators so that they're not burning your hands and so they have a connection with you and want to see you succeed, instead of trying to catch you. FINALLY, and I can't stress this enough, be confident. While this will only come with time, If you are confident, your magic will be that much better -- spectators don't know as much as you think they do. I have been performing and have been convinced that the spec saw through my sleights only to push through my fear to get an amazing reaction. I realize this is a bit of a long post, but I'll wrap this up. Good luck, and just go out there and do it.

--Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, A Study In Scarlet
s13zeTheDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:30 AM   #13
Kieran Oloughlin

I was performing magic to friends at school today and someone cmae up and asked to see some magic. He was REALLY ANNYOING!!! Idid a triumph card trick that used the slop shuffle and he shouted out that it was easy and he woud be able to do it. I then did a riffle pass and he said "easy you just cut the deck" He's kind of right but easy, EASY EASY!!! NO!

As for if I want to show someone something I say something first and then ask if they want to see magic.
Kieran Oloughlin is offline   Reply With Quote