Magicians: The Gathering

Magicians: The Gathering (http://www.magiciansthegathering.com/community//index.php)
-   Coin magic (http://www.magiciansthegathering.com/community//forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   iVanish by Ben Seidman (http://www.magiciansthegathering.com/community//showthread.php?t=161)

TheMisdirectingHand 02-09-2011 05:08 AM

iVanish by Ben Seidman

Ben Seidman is getting me very interested in coin magic.

la0o9 02-09-2011 10:45 AM

This is one of the moves that i 1st learnt when i started playing with coins( 3 months ago). when i saw this and the Muscle pass and i swear to myself that i HAVE to know how to do them, now that i know... i'm going back to basics... nice performance man, no flashes and very good angle.

s13zeTheDay 02-09-2011 01:06 PM

I also recommend HERE by Ben Seidman. It's cheap yet great.

Fruglemonkey 02-09-2011 01:31 PM

Pulling the coin out of the eye is very good for small kids/squirmy people, especially after a vanish.

IE Retention, squeeze hand hard, point (With the hand that has the coin fingerpalmed), follow the arm up, and to the eye, produce.

If you know Wither vanish, it's a natural follow-on.

Also: Clean up your room!

la0o9 02-09-2011 02:25 PM

Do you know where i could see a demo of "HERE"? cause on YT there's nothing of such...

Fruglemonkey 02-09-2011 04:50 PM

HERE looks pretty simple, just gave it a look. http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=2008

TheMisdirectingHand 02-10-2011 01:53 AM

Actually, that is not my room haha... It's just where the computer is.

Also, HERE by Ben Seidman is just a bit of an opener in my opinion. Though a good opener is a must for professionals, I just don't think it's that necessary.

---

One more thing, I removed your second link, FrugleMonkey. There is no exposure allowed on this forum. I hope you understand.

Fruglemonkey 02-10-2011 02:37 AM

Sorry, I don't really understand. What's the definition of 'exposure', here? I see other people talking about how they have tutorials available and such, does that count as exposure?

I'm assuming that blatantly revealing an original technique/routine is considered exposure (For example, exposing one of Mark's routines), but what if the magician has posted a tutorial of their own trick? What if it's a tutorial of something commonly known, such as a muscle pass? Is it still exposure, then?

I thought my link wouldn't be counted as exposure, because, AFAIK, it's the original content of the youtube author.

Or is it that any links to tutorials/reveals are unallowed, here? I checked the rules, they're pretty vague on the issue.

Albert 02-10-2011 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruglemonkey (Post 863)
Sorry, I don't really understand. What's the definition of 'exposure', here? I see other people talking about how they have tutorials available and such, does that count as exposure?

I'm assuming that blatantly revealing an original technique/routine is considered exposure (For example, exposing one of Mark's routines), but what if the magician has posted a tutorial of their own trick? What if it's a tutorial of something commonly known, such as a muscle pass? Is it still exposure, then?

I thought my link wouldn't be counted as exposure, because, AFAIK, it's the original content of the youtube author.

Or is it that any links to tutorials/reveals are unallowed, here? I checked the rules, they're pretty vague on the issue.

No exposure means (at least in this forum) to not provide any hints or direct revelations to how a certain trick or sleight is performed. This includes any type of exposure, such as words, urls, video tutorials, etc.

The reason is that even though the secret behind a trick or sleight may be obvious to a magician, this is a public forum. This means that non-magicians can just as well just come into this forum and get information out of here we don't want them to get. And we all know what Mark thinks about exposure :D

TheMisdirectingHand 02-10-2011 03:26 AM

I believe that it is exposure in general. I am not clear on this issue as well. I am sorry, but as vague as the rules are, I must abide by them. We could wait until Mark comes and clarifies. Exposure in my opinion on this case would be a video or text that explains how an effect or sleight is performed. Until Mark clarifies, your link will stay removed. I will have him see to this matter as soon as I can. Thank you for your patience.

s13zeTheDay 02-10-2011 03:56 AM

Just a quick comment on Here: he also goes over a great vanish where you can show both hands empty in a convincing manner, though I will say it's very similar to alchemy, just with no clothing requirements and the coin still is in your hands at the end.

Now on to a comment about coin magic in general: especially if you are just starting out, get your basics down pat first. I GUARANTEE you that if you sit down and take the time to master all of the basics and even a few time tested routines, you will be a better coin magician. THEN you can go and try to tackle stuff by ponta, shoot ogawa, curtis kam, etc. If you go the other way around, you will end up with sloppy fundamentals, which could hurt you in the long run. I'd especially recommend Bobo's Modern Coin Magic. It really has everything, even great versions of tricks that you would pay much more to learn from DVDs, like winged silver, misers dream, transpos, sleeving, you name it, it's in there.

TheMisdirectingHand 02-10-2011 04:11 AM

I've heard many good things about Bobo's Modern Coin Magic. The only problem is, I don't have the means to purchase it online or anywhere else, because I have very limited transportation...

la0o9 02-10-2011 05:09 AM

i think the only way left is to buy from Amazon/ebay or read what you can from google books... they actually have a few good books there that you can read parts of for free before buying the whole thing.