Magicians: The Gathering

Magicians: The Gathering (http://www.magiciansthegathering.com/community//index.php)
-   Introduce yourself (http://www.magiciansthegathering.com/community//forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   I have a Dream (http://www.magiciansthegathering.com/community//showthread.php?t=814)

WakingNomad 01-16-2014 08:13 AM

I have a Dream

How are you? I am a practicing Chaos Magickian, and High Pope of Discordia, zeroth Degree, Greater Monk of Chaos. 23.

I used to practice stage magic as a kid, and did some sleight-of-hand with quarters. I was able to walk quarters on my hand, and do the ol' pull the quarter from behind the ear trick. I can't do either of those anymore, but I have been practicing a kind of improvisational situation-based magic to amuse people and myself.
I first did it in fifth grade when I burned a kid with pyrokinetic fire. Actually what I did was pick a hot penny off the ground that was sitting in the sun, then I quickly touched it to his arm and said, "Fire!" He yelped in surprised, and then I palmed the penny quickly and misdirected by waving my other hand in a magical manner, then showed him my empty hands.
He said, "You burned me, you burned me!"
I said, "Look, there is nothing there."
Of course, there was no burn. He asked me how I did it, and I said, "Magic!" and walked away.
As an adult I made ninjas appear out of the Dream Plane in a park at an outdoor free rave. How I did that, I am not going to explain right now, maybe later.
I am fascinated with how stage magicians can hold people's attention so well, something I have had to do as a professional stage actor, storyteller, drama teacher, and event entertainer.
It seems to me that practicing stage magic can help a magician in all aspects of one's life, because a good magician must understand how the mind works in order to deceive the audience into a state of ecstasy.
I think I am probably most interested in close-up sleight-of-hand stuff, and maybe combining that with contact juggling. I know it will be a lot of work and practice, and probably a few years before I feel skilled enough to perform professionally. I think whatever I do, I will probably practice some sleight-of-hand to amuse friends and family.
Lucid Be.

maenk 01-20-2014 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WakingNomad (Post 8465)
How are you? I am a practicing Chaos Magickian, and High Pope of Discordia, zeroth Degree, Greater Monk of Chaos. 23.

just wondering...what is that?

WakingNomad 01-22-2014 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maenk (Post 8466)
just wondering...what is that?

Chaos Magick is a meta-paradigm of magick, using belief as a tool to an end. Greater Monk of Chaos is a title I earned by going through an initiation process into a cabal that may not even exist.
The other stuff is a bunch of gobbledygook title I made up for myself, because I am a Pope.