Magicians: The Gathering

Magicians: The Gathering (http://www.magiciansthegathering.com/community//index.php)
-   The Store (http://www.magiciansthegathering.com/community//forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   'ACID' by Albert Victoria (tutorial) (http://www.magiciansthegathering.com/community//showthread.php?t=402)

Admin 09-11-2011 03:44 AM

'ACID' by Albert Victoria (tutorial)

'ACID' by Albert Victoria

http://magiciansthegathering.com/sto...erpolicies.png Add to cart View your cart http://magiciansthegathering.com/store/membergohere.png
Standard price: $7.00
If you aren't a member yet, register for free and get active in the forums to get special discounts.
In case PayPal and its payment methods are no option for you, you may want to have a look at our alternative payment options.

There are times when magicians just want to lose their spectator's selection in the middle of the deck and get it over with, without any preparation, control or misdirection. 'ACID' is just that, filling up holes that have been left open at the most commonly used card controls and switches. Not only does 'ACID' allow you to make selections magically come back to the top of the deck for an infinite amount of times, but the spectators are able to burn your hands as well.

This is an independent take on the same idea behind Derren Brown's 'Velvet Turnover'.

http://magiciansthegathering.com/sto...ducts/ACID.png

Sections
1) Introduction
2) The Switch
3) The Angles
4) Why using ACID?
5) The Steal
6) The Change
7) The Sandwich On The Table
8) The Sandwich In The Hands
9) The Transpo
10) Final Words

Magic specifications
PropsPlaying cards
CleanYes
ImpromptuYes
No pre-workYes
Instantly repeatableYes
AnglesMedium group
Sound level1
Performance levelIntermediate
Tutorial levelBeginner
Click here for more information on specifications.

Technical specifications
MediumVideo
Duration1:18:58
Resolution864x486 pixels (Low Quality = 384x216)
Size1.20 GB (Low Quality = 784 MB)
Tutorial file formatMOV (H.264/AAC)
Click here for more information on specifications.

Credits
Albert VictoriaInstructor
Mark HilkemeijerEditor/Executive producer
Vinn!eMusic producer (find the music here)

Performance

http://magiciansthegathering.com/sto...erpolicies.png Add to cart View your cart http://magiciansthegathering.com/store/membergohere.png
Standard price: $7.00
If you aren't a member yet, register for free and get active in the forums to get special discounts.
In case PayPal and its payment methods are no option for you, you may want to have a look at our alternative payment options.

Copyright ©2011 DarkSleightZ - It's eS productions. All Rights Reserved.

Kelan 09-11-2011 03:59 AM

Totally buying this! Thanks Albert and Mark!

Fin 09-11-2011 04:29 AM

BOOOOOOOOOOOM!

Acid has landed :p

Mark 09-11-2011 04:31 AM

Best cover art ever! Or am I not allowed to say that myself. :rolleyes:

Albert 09-11-2011 04:33 AM

Mark is amazing when it comes to name making and cover arts! :D

Mark 09-11-2011 04:37 AM

Awww, thanks! Although... this is the name you gave it yourself! I just made it more solid I guess. ^_^

KGaborMagic 09-11-2011 07:07 AM

Yay! this is awesome. Can't wait to get my CC, first thing I will buy!

Kayne 09-11-2011 07:12 AM

If only I could buy this :(

Fin 09-11-2011 07:12 AM

I love the cover art Mark. Did you do it? But then I really like all the cover designs.

MysteryHand 09-11-2011 09:20 AM

Great trick Albert. Thanks for making this video tutorial :D

Kieran Oloughlin 09-11-2011 09:58 AM

You realses this AFTER I have a carnival/show and spend all my money that I still have to pay of? God dammint

ItsMagicITellYou 09-11-2011 04:13 PM

this looks amazing.

Fin 09-13-2011 05:22 AM

I'm watching it now and this is complete and utter, unadulterated, pure as the sacred behind of St. Finius himself.... gold-dust. This move is awesome.

Mechanics:
The mechanics are easier than I had expected, and Albert explains them incredibly well. I picked up the basics within minutes but I think the part that will take the most effort is concentrating on angles. That said however the move is pretty good on angles, as long as one stays sharp and aware, something my training with the SAS will have prepared me well for, though I suspect mere mortals will also find this just requires a good practise.

Abundance:
Lets face it; Albert knows his stuff, and this shows in his thorough teaching. Everything you need to know is explained in detail and I was left feeling very confident that all I need to do now is practise. You also get a ton of applications for the move, from the whole Acid Sandwich routine to quick bits like other switching applications, a colour change, stealing etc. And in addition to this you also have the luxury of being able to go back and rewatch not only the tutorial but also the "recap" sections where we see a performers view of the moves being carried out multiple times. This I find to be incredibly useful so that as I practise I can put these recaps on loop and ensure that I am picking up all the small details.

Overall:
Like all the releases I've bought from Darksleights this is very high quality stuff. As tutorials go they are always thorough, well produced, and rediculously well priced. The move is a real worker and one that I think may well shoot up to my top 10 most useful and used moves. It is powerful, relatively easy to learn, can be used for many applications and looks great as it's happening :cool: Albert, thank you for this wonderful addition to the magic community. I hope you are very, very proud.

Albert 09-13-2011 02:57 PM

Ummmmm can I get this for free? :rolleyes:

Mark 09-13-2011 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Albert (Post 4073)
Ummmmm can I get this for free? :rolleyes:

Of course not! Who do you think you are?! :mad:
Oh, never mind, I spotted the sarcasm in your emoticon. :)

Travmang 09-13-2011 07:20 PM

Friggin' freeloaders!

Albert 09-14-2011 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travmang (Post 4075)
Friggin' freeloaders!

Wrong! It's freeloader without an 's' cause I'm awesome!
Only I get free stuff! :cool:

JaceTheMagician 09-17-2011 12:15 AM

Actually, I agree. Cover art looks AWESOME!!!

la0o9 09-17-2011 12:18 AM

i think i saw the original picture that you edited to make the cover art for this...

Mark 09-17-2011 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by la0o9 (Post 4097)
i think i saw the original picture that you edited to make the cover art for this...

It's just a twist on the official acid/corrosive warning sign. ;)

Kieran Oloughlin 09-17-2011 05:17 AM

Do i need to wear special gloves when learning this? (You know, so I dont burn my hands)

la0o9 09-17-2011 06:00 AM

yes you do, i tried it without the gloves and it hurts.

Fin 09-19-2011 12:41 AM

I just wore a hell of alot of TT's and that helped reduce the burning

Albert 09-19-2011 01:18 AM

Just performed 2-card monte using ACID instead of a T** Change yesterday night on a trip North to around 60 people surrounded from the front (left to right) and it worked great!

There's a senior there who also did magic a few years back and he didn't catch it too, so that's good. :)

Try it out to spectators too, especially since now I know for sure that bigger crowds can be worked on too! :cool:

Fin 09-19-2011 02:06 AM

Great application! I can't believe I've still not done the 2 card monte on anyone! Maybe when I do this will be the way to do it..

Kieran Oloughlin 09-19-2011 08:00 AM

So acid can be used exactly the smae as a top change, because in a top change you can hold a card and not turn it over and swap it, can this be done with acid? Also how easy or difficult is the ACID sleight?

la0o9 09-19-2011 12:14 PM

if the sleight is what i think it is, it should take you a little bit longer than Repulse to master it completely, but not more than the video's length to be able to do the move( just doing the move alone is... angle sensitive... Albert said that)

Mark 09-19-2011 01:44 PM

'ACID' is much easier than the 'Repulse Control' to get down. If you follow the instructions well, you'll have it down in no time, there where the 'Repulse' needs more time to have down well. Like with all of our tutorial videos, you should have the basics of all the moves down after watching, like la0o9 mentioned. :)

Albert 09-19-2011 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by la0o9 (Post 4153)
( just doing the move alone is... angle sensitive... Albert said that)

I don't think I said that, did I? I did say that ACID has angle sensitive parts, but I did that move alone many many times and it worked just fine. The angle coverage can be as good as 180 degrees of angle coverage; so for people from all the way to the left to the front to the right will not catch you doing it. Of course, this is given that you are at the correct position as well.

la0o9 09-19-2011 10:44 PM

@Albert: well, like i said, if it's what i THINK it is, then it would be too sensitive alone, quote you:
Quote:

Doing it like that would make it too angle-sensitive and fast.
i thought there were more subtleties involved so the method i asked you about was not correct, but now i'm confused, does that mean the basic move actually comprised of more than just the secret move?

Albert 09-20-2011 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by la0o9 (Post 4166)
@Albert: well, like i said, if it's what i THINK it is, then it would be too sensitive alone, quote you:

i thought there were more subtleties involved so the method i asked you about was not correct, but now i'm confused, does that mean the basic move actually comprised of more than just the secret move?

I see what you mean. What you showed me was not the correct way to perform the move at all, although the concept was similar to ACID. The way you showed me made it more angle-sensitive and it's not due to the subtleties since I really don't think there is any at all except for what I talk about in consistency of flipping cards in ACID (although that really has nothing to do with the move).

Hopefully that explains it or did I still not answer your question? xD

Kieran Oloughlin 09-20-2011 08:41 AM

So acid can be used exactly the smae as a top change, because in a top change you can hold a card and not turn it over and swap it, can this be done with acid?

Im sorry if this question sounds like I am trying to get soime exposure for this technique, I m just curious to wether it can be done or not.

Mark 09-20-2011 02:47 PM

There is only one situation in which 'ACID' wouldn't be able to replace a 'Top Change' unless you'd cover it like crazy or would use quite some misdirection (it's the same situation as when a 'DL' couldn't be done openly, guess that clears it up), but yes, usually, it can replace any 'TC' and 'DL', probably in every situation you use them in. :)

Then again, I don't think it's best to use 'ACID' to replace any of them. It's better to add it to your arsenal and use it whenever you want the holes of other controls to be closed, and use other controls when you want the holes in 'ACID' to be closed. ;)

Albert 09-20-2011 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark (Post 4185)

Then again, I don't think it's best to use 'ACID' to replace any of them. It's better to add it to your arsenal and use it whenever you want the holes of other controls to be closed, and use other controls when you want the holes in 'ACID' to be closed. ;)

Yup, Mark says another wise thing! :D

There are times when using the TC or the DL may be better than the ACID, and I do briefly mention it in the Why ACID section of the video. So as Mark said, don't use it as a replacement, but as an alternative, in one way to put it.

Fin 09-21-2011 02:43 AM

It can actually also be used as a great way to speed up the arranging of cheese slices on a pizza. For this it has completely replaced my DL and TC. And the angles are still pretty awesome.

Happy Tinfoil Cat 09-26-2011 05:27 AM

I'm not even half way through the tutorial and I have to say, WOW! I did look slightly weird in the demo, but I had no idea how extensive ACID is. ACID is not a top change, not a card force, not a transform, not a double lift, not a steal... It's a utility that can do all those and more! This is one of the most instructive tutorials I have ever seen and even includes reverse angles for the southpaws. The moves are not 'easy' but I think they're more secure and easier than my current ones. You will need to practice, yes. This is a bargain. It's nice to have some moves that are not commonplace.

Johnny Silver 10-31-2011 04:38 AM

This is really great Albert...so clean. Can the card be signed for the transpo?

Albert 10-31-2011 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Silver (Post 5031)
This is really great Albert...so clean. Can the card be signed for the transpo?

Yup, they sure can be. It's completely impromptu :)

schugunwinta 11-04-2011 10:40 PM

One of my most favourite switches :)

la0o9 11-05-2011 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schugunwinta (Post 5133)
One of my most favourite switches :)

you have no idea how valuable that sentence was, no idea at all.