Magicians: The Gathering

Magicians: The Gathering (http://www.magiciansthegathering.com/community//index.php)
-   Card magic (http://www.magiciansthegathering.com/community//forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   FCSTT control (http://www.magiciansthegathering.com/community//showthread.php?t=603)

Fin 01-01-2012 08:47 AM

FCSTT control

The FCSTT control. I could tell you what it stands for, but I can't remember, and I'd have to kill you if I could :ninja: But I think the F stands for "Findini" :thinking:

"For magicians who like to end on top" (sponsored by Gillette aftershave) :rolleyes:

[edit] I made this video private.. My improved performance is below (scroll down) [edit]

It's still in the early stages of development and practise, so I hope to smooth it out alot over time. It's strongly inspired by moves from Olmac and Roy Babbel. Thanks also for the helpful advice from Mark Hilkemeijer and Tony Chang.

TommySteal 01-01-2012 10:08 AM

I'd say it's pretty smooth already. You probably think otherwise because at the moment you're analyzing the move as a single entity. Once incorporated into a routine or sequence, you may find "The Move" begin to appear undetectable.

Changing the subject ...
I had a dream last night I was back at school. I dreamed I rode my bike to school only when I came to the shed to lock it up, I'd forgotten my chain and padlock. I had to take it into the class room with me and everything.

Travmang 01-01-2012 11:37 AM

I'm going to reveal the control name for those wondering.

FCSTT

Fin's Cactus Still Tickles Travis

Dude, this is awesome, I don't even know how its done, because its pretty much invisible. I must know the secrets of this move considering it is partially named after me! :D

Fin 01-01-2012 09:32 PM

Trav, honey, you had me at "dude".
(But how did you know I was using my cactus gimmick? Did I flash?)

Tommy, sort yer' dreams out! That's soo messed up :eek:

la0o9 01-01-2012 11:21 PM

oh, so you used a cactus gimmick, i see. very clever idea Fin, i couldn't even see the cactus in action ;D

P.S: i really couldn't, but i get the gist of it.

Leroy 01-02-2012 03:01 AM

the beauty of this move is incredible. I just love the way it flows, and its a great move to look up to when making your own. Thanks Fin for the inspiration.

Fin 01-02-2012 06:52 PM

Thanks for the positive words Leroy. It looks great, but it's only really good from the direct front, going around to the far right. Anything to your left and you've got trouble. So, like many moves its definitely best performed for just a few people. It can also be used for other things, such as to go straight into a shapeshifter change, with no double lift! :p

I think it's main strength is that when done smoothly (and I'm still working hard on that) it looks like no "move" could have been done yet, since all you have done is apparently turn over and replace the top card.

Mark 01-02-2012 08:17 PM

The only suggestion I could give to this is to keep the speed consistent. If you do everything very slow and then suddenly speed up (in this case when turning over the card), it looks much more tenseful for no reason. Since the rest looks very relaxed, any speeding up would make it very suspicious.

Other than that, good job. :):)

Also, isn't this the 'FCSTL'? The 'FCSTT' was using the other sleight. ;)

Fin 01-02-2012 08:24 PM

Thanks for the input Mark, great advice as always. That's what I'm working on now; the smoothing of the movements and consistency of speed. I think I've got the mechanics down and I know my angles, so the more subtle aspects are now easier to concentrate on. Thanks again :)

ps. the FCSTL was basically the same thing.. The FCSTT was a more streamlined approach to the use of the english language in an attempt to use less letters. It didn't work.

Leroy 01-03-2012 06:36 AM

Yes yes, the angles are moody. I look up to the way its built into doing something natural.
P.s. When I grow up I want to be like you fin!!

KGaborMagic 01-03-2012 02:14 PM

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: :eek::eek:
Fin... this is awesome...:ninja:

Fin 04-05-2012 06:30 AM

So here we are, a few months down the road. I've worked on the move and smoothed it out further. Still room for improvement, but I'm getting there.. Here's the basic top control, aka "The F Move - Variation 1".

Thanks for all the feedback so far; it has really helped :)

la0o9 04-05-2012 12:53 PM

... and then he was the best... awesome move man, my eyes can see better so it looked more obvious to me, but it totally fooled me twice( shame on me)

TommySteal 04-05-2012 01:01 PM

If this is done the way I think, I take my hat off to you young Fin - very smooth indeed. If not, can you tell me where I can get hold of the cactus gimmick?

Fin 04-05-2012 03:32 PM

Get on skype some time Tommy so I can show you the cactus gimmick. It's even more exciting than Trav suggests

Travmang 04-06-2012 04:14 PM

The core of it's excitement derives from it's high level of prickly awesomeness as I'm sure your eyes will behold soon.

Fin 05-01-2012 12:29 AM

I've been street-testing this recently, (now that I'm happy with the handling) and I haven't been caught ONCE! I feel so naughty :)

Travmang 05-01-2012 02:27 AM

>:) Awesome! Finny I must send you a pm in a minute I must ask you something!