Magicians: The Gathering

Magicians: The Gathering (http://www.magiciansthegathering.com/community//index.php)
-   Public Magic Discussions (http://www.magiciansthegathering.com/community//forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Who is your favourite magician? (http://www.magiciansthegathering.com/community//showthread.php?t=599)

MagusJakus 12-30-2011 01:51 PM

Who is your favourite magician?

Hey guys,this is just one quick question.My favourite magician is Tony Chang because he really understand how magic really needs to look like.Please tell down in the comments who is your favourite magician.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkVfkYReEMQ

KGaborMagic 12-30-2011 02:31 PM

Huh... Hard question.
There are a lot:Hajnóczy Soma, Lennart Green... and of course Mark^_^

PianothShaveck 12-30-2011 02:53 PM

It depends. For mentalism, Derren Brown. For cards, well… maybe… David blaine? Tony Chang is great for sure but I personally prefer David. For general stage illusion, Lance Burton (maybe)... However, there are thousand of magicians out there so it's almost impossible to select just a few of them and say that those are the best.

stem 12-30-2011 05:29 PM

for close up, bill malone!
for skills, mystery mark!
with coins, eric jones!
for illusion, mago silvan (italian magician)
but my favourite is bill malone ;)

ouncesmusic 12-30-2011 07:41 PM

Rene Lavand and The Professor

TommySteal 12-30-2011 08:19 PM

I love classic close-up so Mr. Michael Vincent and Helder would both have to be up there. I love the magical fluidity of Ponta the Smith. I also love magicians that make me laugh like Peter Wardell and Charlie Frye.

Kelan 12-30-2011 10:53 PM

1. David Blaine, for revolutionizing magic by bringing it to the people on the street
2. Mystery Mark (Sorry Mark! :D), for his innovative, new ideas
3. Derren Brown, for his amazing presentation
4. Michael Vincent, for his classic magic
5. Bill Malone, for his comedy and fantastic entertainment

schugunwinta 12-30-2011 11:20 PM

Lennart Green and Lee Asher EDITED : Also Darwin Ortiz.

la0o9 12-30-2011 11:45 PM

i'd say Bill Malone, because he's got amazing presentation, and also Derren Brown, for making something that easily becomes boring like mentalism( i really like mentalism, don't take me wrong, but it's hard to make it interesting)

Mark 12-31-2011 05:07 AM

- David Blaine for getting me into magic and being the only TV magician I seen who actually has a personality and isn't trying to be a popstar;
- Cyril Takayama for street magic in general;
- Lance Burton for stage magic;
- Tommy Wonder for killer magic and getting the art forward by working and improving the classics (like myself);
- Alex Elmsley for classic magic;
- Lennart Green for his full act/show (let's not forget: all and only with cards);
- Tom Mullica for his cigarette routine, showing you don't actually have to do magic sleights or tricks in order to perform magic.

Usually when answering this question I throw in a current, promising magician for originality but no one comes to mind right now. (Previous owners of this spot include Jason Latimer, Ponta the Smith and Hajnóczy Soma.)

If I'd have to name my favorite magician of all time, it'd be Tommy Wonder. Of all living magicians, I'd have to go with David Blaine. (Lennart Green would've gotten this spot if he wouldn't have revealed his entire life works, on the Masterfile set in particular.)

Fin 12-31-2011 05:33 AM

I'm going to keep this simple. My favourite magician, i.e. the one I like to see in action more than any other, is David Williamson. Not only is he VERY adept with a deck of cards, but his humour more often than not has me in stitches. He also has alot of variety in his repertoire. If I had to take one magician to a desert island with me, it would be him. Anyone seen his "Rocky the Raccoon" routine? Great stuff.

OliveroG 12-31-2011 06:03 PM

Juan Tamariz, simply the best magician i've ever seen, he dominates magic theory to a point that he can make you (magician) feel like a layman even if he does only a double lift; he is a master of technique (under his crazy character) and an excellent person who inspires magic wherever he goes; if you have the chance to meet him and talk to him atleast for 10 minutes, don't talk, just listen, you'll be thankful later.

Asad 01-05-2012 08:58 AM

Gotta go with the two DB's. Derren Brown and David Blaine.

TheWezku 05-11-2012 10:00 AM

Ricky Jay is one of my all time favourite magicians just because his style and i really like his historical talking patterns
other would be of course David Blaine for the same reasons that people have allredy written all over this post :D

thetophatfirm 05-19-2012 09:22 AM

Ill have to say I enjoy magicians who perform clean effects, works that can be examined immediately for the wonder

Tobelli 05-19-2012 03:15 PM

Many magicians influenced me, but only one is my favorite Magician:

Tony Slydini.

His grace, his intelligence, his elegance his misdirection know no boundaries.

TheFourAces 05-19-2012 05:01 PM

Probably Bill Malone because he is so comfortably with cards and everything else, and for his humor and great presentation. He also inspired me to get into magic. ^_^

Des 04-23-2013 02:29 AM

Hmmm... :thinking:
Lots, for different categories:
Technical Skill: Ponta the Smith, Akira Fujii, Bebel
Creativity: Larry Jennings, Mark Hilkemeijer, Juan Tamariz, Dani DaOrtiz
Presentation: Dani DaOrtiz (absolutely dominates this category; his casual, happy-go-lucky performance style creates an aura of raw magic), David Williamson (absolutely hilarious, catches you off guard with great magic, too), Ricky Jay (immerses you in utterly entertaining, artistic performances and is also hilarious in a gruff uncle kind of way)
Theory: Ascanio, Darwin Ortiz, Juan Tamariz, Dai Vernon (absolute masters)
Style: Helder Guimaraes, Arnaud Chevrier, Derek Delgaudio
Uniqueness: Lennart Green, Dani DaOrtiz, Luis Piedrahita
Overall: Helder Guimaraes, Juan Tamariz, Dani DaOrtiz, Ricky Jay

Thas' right, I take this sh!z seriously. :cool:

Vlad_77 07-04-2013 12:18 PM

A great question that is very difficult to answer, so, I'll sort of categorize as a few others have.

Slydini: In my estimation, Slydini remains the master of misdirection.

Harry Lorayne: The best teacher in magic and his creative output is nothing short of astounding.

Juan Tamariz: This man exudes enough enthusiasm to power 10 space shuttles!

Stewart James: This is a name that gets very little attention, yet, Stewart James is one of the true masters of this art.

Ted Annemann: He and Vernon both espoused the theory that effect is everything. Annemann was not afraid of shaking things up and his magic and mentalism have profoundly influenced many of our greatest.

Wyattsb 07-19-2013 11:06 AM

May as well put out my standard list: Blaine, Derren Brown, Mark, Dynamo(ish), Danny Garcia, Wayne Houchin.

If I had to pick one: Derren Brown.