Magicians: The Gathering

Magicians: The Gathering (http://www.magiciansthegathering.com/community//index.php)
-   Public Magic Discussions (http://www.magiciansthegathering.com/community//forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   How not shuffling the deck theoretically is more magical (http://www.magiciansthegathering.com/community//showthread.php?t=263)

TommySteal 05-20-2011 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by la0o9 (Post 2010)
card melts through the deck= Shifty card rise( search for it)/ a rising card gimmick or ACR routine?

The last part of my initial post was just referring to an ACR. But as for the debate, yes, not shuffling in an ACR would theoretically be more magical.

---------- Post added at 08:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 AM ----------

But kind of boring

TheMisdirectingHand 05-20-2011 02:50 PM

The whole point of the ACR is to show how ambitious the card is in the process of jumping to the top. It would seem weird if we just started shuffling every time the card was lost. If we WERE shuffling in an ACR, it would not be magical at all. That would just be demonstrating your ability to control cards, rather than the card controlling itself.

la0o9 05-20-2011 05:11 PM

hmmm, actually, it WOULD be very interesting to use this type of material in a routine, i just thought of some good stuffs( quick question, if you guys were audience, would you like things to just happen without you noticing at first no matter how hard you try to notice it, or would you find mentally depriving visual tricks better?

Albert 05-20-2011 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by la0o9 (Post 2019)
hmmm, actually, it WOULD be very interesting to use this type of material in a routine, i just thought of some good stuffs( quick question, if you guys were audience, would you like things to just happen without you noticing at first no matter how hard you try to notice it, or would you find mentally depriving visual tricks better?

As an adult, I like mentally challenging tricks better because older people tend to know more about the possibility of gimmicks. If something doesn't scientifically make sense, I would probably be more amazed. On the other hand, depending on how visual and in what context this visual magic happens, this could also fall in the category of being "mentally inexplicable".

If I was younger, I would probably prefer visual tricks; younger people are just like that :D

TommySteal 05-20-2011 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMisdirectingHand (Post 2018)
The whole point of the ACR is to show how ambitious the card is in the process of jumping to the top. It would seem weird if we just started shuffling every time the card was lost. If we WERE shuffling in an ACR, it would not be magical at all. That would just be demonstrating your ability to control cards, rather than the card controlling itself.

I think you miss my point David. No magician in their right mind would shuffle the deck EVERY time the card was lost, but for a good routine to be interesting and entertaining there has to be variety in method to how the effect is achieved otherwise spectators would get bored. What I mean is if you fairly show the card being inserted into the deck, and without the use of duplicate that card then jumps to the top, that's the trick over , no routine - that's real magic.

Kieran Oloughlin 05-21-2011 09:07 AM

Or fallen by dg

MarkoViner 05-21-2011 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Albert (Post 2020)
As an adult, I like mentally challenging tricks better because older people tend to know more about the possibility of gimmicks. If something doesn't scientifically make sense, I would probably be more amazed. On the other hand, depending on how visual and in what context this visual magic happens, this could also fall in the category of being "mentally inexplicable".

If I was younger, I would probably prefer visual tricks; younger people are just like that :D

Yes I have to agree with you. I have noticed that about the spectators too :)